September 10, 2011

Baby Rose Shirt Redo

I hope you are not getting too tired of my kid's shirt redos, but I REALLY like to make their shirts, especially if I can reuse their baby clothes.  My kid's baby clothes were/are so cute...I just can't help myself.  
So, this refashion comes to you courtesy of my daughter's long sleeved 2T shirt.  I love the details of this shirt and how cute it looked on Sam when she was little.  When she outgrew it, it got put away. I figured I would let Sam use it for her dolls someday. Well, forget the dolls, I used it to make a cute shirt for Sam ...six years later.
Here is what the 2T shirt looked liked before the transformation.  See how wrinkled it is from being tucked away in a chest for years?  I love the rose cut-out and the striped sleeves especially the ruffled edge at the end of the sleeves...
So, basically what I did was cut out the flower cut-out  and centered it to the new shirt. I did this by folding the shirt side ways and ironing a line down the middle.  Then I did the same with the cut-out.  
See the thread running down the middle...that is just to show you how to line up the shirt with the cut-out to get it to look centered. 
Then pin and sew around the cut-out
I sewed around the cut-out twice just because...and then trimmed the edge (sorry, forgot to take pic)
Make several strips by cutting up the sleeves. Fold and iron your strips length wise
and use them to trim out the sleeves like you would with bias tape.  Just start with one strip and when that strip runs out, layer another and continue around the sleeve.
Just sew around the sleeve.  I used the width of the foot as a guide. 
Once I was done sewing, I just trimmed off the extra fabric.
Don't forget to do the same for the neckline. Remember the cute ruffled edge on the sleeves? I cut the ruffle close to the edge and made these pretty roses. I pinned them to the flowers that were printed on the cut-out.
I sewed/tacked them down by hand and added clear beads.
and there you have it...still cute six years later ...
and, um, yeah, don't you think the shirt is cute too...?



10 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Great idea - and your daughter is a cutie pie.

Felecia Cofield said...

Tired of your shirt redos? No way!!! Love, love, love them!!! I am a beginner sewer and I feel like these shirt redos are something that even I can accomplish. I don't have little girls of my own but I have great-nieces that range in one year to two years. I love attempting to make something they can wear again and again.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Very nice..A wonderful Tutorial & a perfect post..love it :)
Thanks

Just Jaime said...

Great idea!

Andrea @ Sew Divertimento said...

So cute!! I love the detail you added to the flowers!

www.sewdivertimento.blogspot.com

Suzana said...

I was excited and I came in today. Excellent make-over shirt, nice blog. Follow your work. A nice and pleasant day you want!

Unknown said...

I love how you added the roses on the cut out! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Tamdsgns said...

What a cutie and a cute redo!tfs!

Kaitlin Saenz said...

Great transformation! This is so great! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with {Re}creation Into Something New Wednesdays at Not So Simple Housewife! Hope to see more from you this upcoming Wednesday!

Kaitlin-The Not So Simple Housewife
http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/

Kids craft ideas said...

Great tutorial. Love it. Thanks for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...